Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Annie on My Mind

Garden, N. (2013). Annie on My Mind. New York, NY: Farrar, Straus, Giroux.

This young adult novel is about two young girls, Liza Wintrop and Annie Kenyo, who happen to meet at the metropolitan museum. They instantly become friends even though they live in different parts of  New York they make time to see each other. Their friendship slowly begins to blossom into something more and Liza doesn't know how to handle these feelings she has for Annie. Liza has always seemed a little different even among her private school friends, and she's never been attracted to anyone at her school either. When Liza and Annie are together everything just makes sense which at times scares Liza, but she knows she isn't complete without Annie in her life. One drastic event breaks both Liza and Annie apart due to fear and the unknown, and its not until Liza realizes that the opinions of others doesn't really matter if you're with the one person you love.

Annie on My Mind can be a controversial book due to its content. When it was first published in 1982, many individuals didn't like the book or its content, and many people were outraged by the idea of two girls loving one another. When I told my mother what I was reading she had this look on her face and I knew she didn't care of the book. Of course, I think when people are raised to believe that homosexuality is wrong its hard to change there mind. I believe that literature like this could help those who are ignorant to better understand the fact of homosexuality isn't something that is weird or sick, but that it's another form of partnership. We all want whats best and it shouldn't matter who we love. I enjoyed the story regardless of its content, and I believe this could help those young teens who are confused about their own sexuality. So, regardless of ones' own beliefs try this book and see how the love for another really does prevail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment