Wednesday, July 12, 2017

#14 Gabi: A Girl in Pieces

                     Quintero, I. (2014). Gabi: A Girl in Pieces. El Paso, TX: Cinco Puntos.


Gabi: A Girl in Pieces is about a young girl, Gabi, who writes in her diary about her senior year experiences. These diary entries consist of her friend Cindy's' teen pregnancy, Sebastian's "coming out" and homelessness, her dad's addiction to meth, and her love life. It's tough being a teenage girl who is experiencing a lot her senior year and trying to fill out college applications to get out of this one horse town. Of course, no matter what her family and friends go through she has there back and will defend them even if they don't want it. Gabi's love life is also added to the diary, yet her mom and Tia Bertha are ruining her mojo warning her to stay pure, and that bad girls will go to hell. Its a tough life but Gabi wouldn't change a thing.   

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and Quintero's writing, because she brings this book alive with its relevant topics of teen pregnancy, homosexuality, drug addiction, and teenage love. Gabi is a well-developed character that makes you love her headstrong attitude when you continue reading her diary entries, because it makes you feel like you're a part of her life and witnessing everything from her point of view. Being a big girl in high school who enjoyed the comforts of food myself I felt that I really knew who Gabi was and the experiences she went through makes me think of my students who come from dysfunctional, broken families who may be witnessing these events like Gabi. I believe this book is great for grades 9 and up due to its content and language use, but even adults may like this book too. I'm glad I read this because it would be a shame not to know the character Gabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment