Wednesday, July 12, 2017

#15 Ghost by Raina Telgemeiger

                  Telgemeier, R. (2016). Ghosts. New York, NY: Graphix an imprint of Scholastic.

Ghost is about a young girl, Cat, who is uprooted from her home and is moving to Bahia de la Luna located along the coast of Northern California because her sister, Maya, is sick. It's not Maya fault that she has cystic fibrosis, but it Cat is really going to miss her friends. Once the Cat's family moves in the girls go explore their new town and meet a boy, Carlos, who happens to be their next door neighbor. Carlos informs tells them that there are ghost living here in Bahia de la Luna, and he would be happy to give them his ghostly tour of the town. Maya is determined to see one regardless of being sick, and Cat is not thrilled to see these so call, "ghost." As Halloween approaches the ghost can reunite with their loved ones according to Cat's new friends and their is a big festival in the middle of the town. Cat needs to figure out a way to let go of her fears for the sake of her fearless sister, Maya, and go see for herself what the festival is about. 

Loved it! This beautiful well-written graphic novel is AMAZING. I was glad that I read this book and got to meet Cat and Maya along this fun-loving story. I'm a only child so I never got to experience having a little brother or sister, but I could imagine what it was like by reading and seeing Cat's experience. I'm actually familiar with the cystic fibrosis when I was in respiratory therapy and I got to see many of the vest treatments for the patients who had cystic fibrosis. Most students who read this might not know what genetic disease is and once they have read it they'll have a better understanding of this disease, because at the end of the graphic novel Telgemeier explains what cystic fibrosis is and gives a web address for additional information about it. I think my fourth graders may like this book because of its Spanish cultural flare, the ghost, and it's written in a graphic novel format. It's an easy read and even the most reluctant reader would find joy in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment